Lead Programmer- Lively, UK
At Lively, we pride ourselves on making games full of character. The world is fun and silly and sad and infuriating and banal and beautiful and ugly, and all of those things have a place in our games. Across the Electric Square group, 4 studios, many projects, 250 people (and studio dogs (and cats)), we offer you a comfortable and comforting studio culture that we hope can make you feel empowered and inspired.
Lively hunger for difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, products, and community. Lively is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We provide a comprehensive benefits package and an award-winning environment to work in; we are not idle - we always strive to do better for our employees.
We are currently looking for a delightful Lead Programmer to join our Leamington-based team - but we are fully supportive of remote working and happy to enable whatever blend of home and office best empowers you and your work.
A Lead Programmer at Lively Leamington Spa:
- Leads code team, passing on experience and expertise and leads by example.
- Develops technical design specifications for complex projects and implements them.
- Designs, develops, writes, tests and implements systems and game code.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Tests and refines gameplay features throughout the development cycle of the project.
- Mentors and conducts regular one to ones with project engineering team.
- Estimates own tasks and delivers high quality code to that schedule.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
- Able to communicate effectively with our clients and maintain strong relationships with them.
- Highly proficient in C# & C++.
- At least 5 years experience working in the video games industry.
- Knowledge of industry standard development practices: source control, asset pipelines, issue tracking, external QA and localisation teams.
- Worked on and shipped at least two games.
- Exposure to post-launch on-going product development and delivery.
- Continuous integration and build automation experience.
- Worked in an Agile development environment.
- Unity or Unreal experience
Please also let us know if you:
- Worked on free to play mobile games
- Experience with art packages and pipeline development.
- Experience with low level optimisation, shader programming, physics or mathematics.
- Understanding and experience of cloud server and network backend systems.
When you join Lively, you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether it’s participating and relaxing with one of our wellness benefits or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked at one of Leamington Spa’s incredible eateries. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Lively invests in. Below you will find all the benefits and perks you can enjoy as a Lively team member.
- Holidays - 25 days’ annual leave entitlement including studio closure over the Christmas period plus all UK bank holidays
- Bonus Anniversary Holidays - An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Lively up to a maximum of 30 days of annual leave entitlement.
- Generous Team Project Bonuses
- Company Pension Scheme – Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Private Medical Insurance Scheme – Full private medical cover provided by AXA PPP Private Healthcare.
- Group Income Protection
- Health and Well-being Allowance – £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities, ranging from going to the gym, rock climbing, yoga and a lovely massage. It's on us!
- Group Life Insurance
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme – Full private dental cover is provided under our Dental plan company scheme.
- Cycle to Work Scheme – Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Tech Scheme - Over 5000 products available from to buy over 12 or 24 month payment terms, saving up to 12% on National Insurance.
- Free soft drinks to keep you refreshed throughout the day. Remember your sugar intake, though, folks!
- In studio, Monthly Friday Team Lunch – Monthly Friday lunches have become a way of life here at Lively. It’s a wonderful way to sit and enjoy a bit of food and drink together as a team outside of the day to day at the studio.
- Eye-care Vouchers – Free eye tests.
- WithU Fitness App - A remarkable fitness app that revolves around audio guidance, which is absolutely free for all Lively employees
- Financial Wellbeing Platform – Access to a fantastic financial wellbeing platform which is free to all Lively Employees.
- Train Travel Season Ticket Loan – Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Fast Growing Studio – We're only getting bigger, so there's plenty of room for career advancement.
- Industry Conferences Budget – Many of our employees benefit every year from attending conferences such as GDC in San Francisco, Siggraph, E3, Unite, Unreal Fest Europe and more.
- Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
- Free Cereal Bar – Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections.
- Extensive Video Game & Book Library – Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console!
- Free Awesome Swag – Amazingly designed Lively T-shirts and merch
- Dogs with Jobs – Lively is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!
- Exhibitions & Days Out – If there is an event happening of interest to us, we’ll happily spread the word, pick up the bill and see if any Electrons are up for going – we’re keen to get you everyone out seeing what’s going on.
- Project Wrap Parties, Cinema Nights & Team Social Events – We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together.